By: Chad Melius
Many visitors to this website come here searching for information on headaches over an eye ( left, right, or unspecified ). In researching the topic of headache location, I could find no information about why a headache might be in a certain location. One thought that came to mind was that it might have something to do with a person’s eye dominance.
What is eye dominance?
You might not know it, but most of us have a dominant eye, just like we have a dominant hand. About two-thirds of us are right-eyed, and one-third left-eyed. What causes this is unknown, but that’s not what this article is about.
I did an extensive internet search to see what I could find out about how eye dominance might be related to headache location. There is no information about this at all. I found some articles that mentioned that headaches could be caued by preventing the dominant eye from being used, but there was no mention of where the headache was located.
First, take an eye dominance test.
So I decided to call on my visitors to participate in a “scientific” survey to see if there is a coorelation between Headache Location and Eye Dominance. If you want to take part in this survey, you will need to determine your eyed-ness, if you don’t already know. Here is a simple test:
- Make a circle with your thumb and forefinger ( the “everything is OK” sign ). Look through the circle at a small object in the distance.
- Close your right eye. Did the object appear to move outside the circle? If so, you are right-eyed. ( If it didn’t move, you are left-eyed. )
- Just to make sure, line up the object in the circle again. Now close your left eye. If you’re right-eyed, the object should stay in the circle.
Here’s what’s happening in this experiment: With both eyes open, you actually are seeing two images of the object. But to avoid confusion, your brain only registers the image seen by your dominant eye. When you close your dominant eye, only then can you see the other eye’s image.
Now take the Headache Location vs Eye Dominance poll.
Now you have all the information you need to take the poll below. You will be able to see the up-to-date results when you are done.
- What can cause a headache over your left eye?
- What causes a headache above your right eye?
- What causes a headache in the same spot above an eye?